AR160422 2487

Dev Squad Beaten By Queen's Park

The Hibs Dev Squad fell to their first defeat in pre-season after a disappointing 4-2 defeat at the hands of Queens Park in Rutherglen.

Dylan Tait and Robbie Hamilton scored the goals for the Hibees, but we leaked four at the other end in what was a frustrating afternoon for Steve Kean's side.

Kean called upon several First Team players for the match, getting some important minutes into the legs of the likes of Paul Hanlon, Jake Doyle Hayes, Lewis Miller and Momodou Bojang - who all played at least 45 minutes.

As the game kicked off it was the home side who started on the front foot. They pressed the ball high and were touch tight to a man in defence which stifled the Hibees' ability to show their creative flair.

As the match approached 10 minutes with very little action to tell, a foul on the edge of the area on Momoudou Bojang presented the first opportunity for Hibs.

DylanTait stepped up and his low-driven shot to the bottom left corner found its way under the wall and into the back of the net - giving the Hibees an early lead.

As the 20-minute mark rolled around, Hibs were really starting to grow into the game and the more experienced players were starting to shine through.

Bojang continued to play his important role on the pitch as he picked up the ball in dangerous areas and looked threatening whenever he got on the ball.

It wasn’t all plain sailing for Hibs though and in the 35th minute, Queen’s Park had a great chance to draw level. A dangerous pass across the face of goal was met by a Queen’s Park boot and hammered towards goal. But, Kevin Dabrowski was alert to it and able to get down sharply to his left to produce a great save.

The warning signs were there however and on 37 minutes the home side were level - a mistimed shot flew over Dabrowski and it was 1-1.

Hibs nearly hit back straight away. Bojang picked up the ball on the edge of the area and his pass across goal was met by Josh O’Connor. However, the young striker was unable to get the ball out of his feet and the goalkeeper was able to smother the attack before it could lead to anything else.

Half time brought about a host of changes for the visiting side as youngsters Jacob Blaney, Kanayo Megwa, Ethan Laidlaw, Murray Aiken and Joao Balde all came on to add a bit of energy to the Hibs side.

Steve Kean’s team talk obviously worked as within five minutes of play restarting - Hibs were back ahead. Robbie Hamilton picked up the ball on the edge of the area, before skipping past two men, he fired his shot into the far corner leaving the Spider's keeper no chance.

The second was end-to-end play with chances for both teams coming thick and fast. On the hour mark, Queens Park drew level - after a fortunate bounce led to a simple tap-in for their striker, 2-2.

Fortune was clearly on the home side this afternoon as a similar opportunity presented itself once again giving Queen’s Park another tap-in to go 3-2.

Queen’s Park weren’t finished there though and with less than 10 minutes to go, they added a fourth.

The Hibees fought to get themselves back into the game and had a golden chance to pull one back. Ethan Laidlaw was brought down harshly in the area and the referee pointed to the spot. Unfortunately, Dylan Tait's effort was saved and the Spiders kept their two-goal cushion.

Overall, a frustrating afternoon for the Hibees which ultimately ended in defeat.