Whats App Image 2023 11 18 at 15 23 42 1

Report: Hibernian 2 Hearts 1

Jorian Baucom’s second half double salvo sees Hibernian win in the Edinburgh Derby.

On her 100th appearance for the club, 22-year-old Leah Eddie would lead the side out at Easter Road in front of a healthy 5,365 supporters.

Despite Hibs starting this derby with a little hesitancy in the pass, Shannon McGregor would unleash the first shot of the game straight at Charlotte Parker-Smith – a curling effort from the edge of the area.

Hearts would very nearly have their first shot on target after the restart too. Eddie would instead intervene and make a terrific last second challenge to dispossess Lockwood as the Hearts number 10 looked to break free of her marker.

With 20 minutes gone and little else to speak of, Abbie Ferguson would light up the pitch with a momentary but typical mazy run, getting past a handful of Hearts defenders. Laying off to Michaela McAlonie in space, our bullish midfielder would blaze a shot high over the bar.

The first half would see little other action, instead it would be full of moments of individual skill. Livingstone would be lively down the left, constantly finding pockets of space, and Ferguson would continue to take on and beat players with ease on the opposite side - usually by cutting inside; something of trademark move from her.

Starting the second half with more sanguine spirit – Jorian Baucom fired the first shot within a minute of the restart. On the turn on the edge of the area after Shannon McGregor’s controlled ball forward, our number 5 would release a curling shot that narrowly went wide of the post.

With 57 minutes played and the energy sustained, Baucom would help herself to a second chance – making no mistake this time round. Livingstone’s initial shot from an acute angle was saved, but thanks to Parker-Smith's poor handling, the forward would pounce and hammer the rebound into the net, queuing celebrations that reverberated across Easter Road.

Not content with just the one goal – Jorian would grab her second not three minutes later. Powell’s corner from the right was swung in inch-perfectly and with the American forward ready to receive, her looping header deceived Parker-Smith once again and nestled into the bottom corner.

The two goal lead for Hibs however was cut when former Hibee Katie Lockwood hauled Hearts back into the game. A deflected clearance from Lawson gifted Lockwood an easy header at the back post with 15 minutes still to play.

Much like Ferguson’s effort earlier in the game, Tegan Bowie’s first contribution since coming on would see her audacious effort rattle the crossbar, much to the surprise of the now excited and energetic home fans.

With the momentum now swinging the way of the aways side thanks to their goal, and with mere seconds remaining, Katie Fraine would pull off an outstanding save on the line to deny Carly Girasoli a very late equaliser. Needing two goes to ensure any onrushing Hearts player couldn't capitalise on a loose ball - she would clutch the ball firmly to the ground.

That would end the action as Hibs claimed the Capital Cup for a second successive time this season.