LJF 0975

Report: Huddersfield Town 2 Hibs B 4

Jamie Gullan scored a hat-trick as our Young Hibees beat Huddersfield Town’s B Team 4-2 at the home side’s Canalside training ground.

Gullan netted two goals in two minutes to put us ahead inside 17 minutes, but the Huddersfield Town drew level going into the break thanks to a brace from Kian Harratt.

However, we continued to battle and got our rewards, as Gullan completed his treble before Josh O’Connor sealed the victory with four minutes remaining.

After a tame opening quarter, which saw both sides tussle for possession, it was our Young Hibees who would take the advantage on 15 minutes.

Gullan, who was situated on the left-hand side of the area, carried the ball along the edge before he hit a fierce effort, which beat Nicholas Bilokapic at his near post.

We carried on our dominance, with Innes Murray almost sending Oscar McIntyre through on goal, but Ben Jackson managed to intervene and put the ball out for a throw.

It was from that chance where we would double our lead, as Innes’ drilled cross was prodded home by Gullan.

On 23 minutes, David Mitchell had his first involvement in the game, as he got down to his right to push Micah Obiero’s effort wide of his near post.

The home side pulled a goal back on the half-hour mark through Harratt, who nipped in front of Mitchell to head home from Jon Russell’s cross.

The Young Terriers then had chances through Brahima Diarra and Obiero, but the resolute Hibees’ defence kept them at bay with blocks.

However, Town would draw level on 42 minutes, with Harratt drilling past Mitchell from Jackson’s cut-back.

On the stroke of the break, confusion in the area almost saw us go into the break ahead, but Bilokapic saved a snapshot from Jayden Fairley before Gullan stabbed wide from the rebound.

The home side started the brighter of the two in the second period, but Jackson’s free-kick went just wide of the top corner.

On 52 minutes, Mitchell made a crucial save to keep the scores level, parrying wide from Harratt’s effort from 10 yards out.

Josh Campbell then stung the gloves of Bilokapic, who was required to push the forward’s long-range effort beyond the post.

On the hour, the Young Terriers made five changes to their side, which seemingly saw the momentum change into our hands, as we went back ahead.

Firstly, Campbell saw another distanced effort deflect wide, with Nassim Kherbouche sending the ball out for a corner.

The subsequent corner pinballed in the area before it fell to the feet of Jack Brydon, who rolled the ball into the path of Gullan, who rifled his shot into the net through a crowd of bodies.

Gullan could have had a fourth with seven minutes to go, as Town cheaply gave the ball away. But the 22-year-old’s effort was palmed wide by substitute Michael Acquah.

We did, however, confirm the victory just four minutes later, as O’Connor drilled an angled effort from the edge across Acquah and into the bottom corner.

Town could have set up a nervy finish after Campbell handled from Jaheim Headley’s shot, but Mitchell managed to save and hold Harratt’s penalty to confirm a great victory in West Yorkshire.

Hibernian B Team: Mitchell, Megwa, Trialist, Brydon, Trialist, Fairley, Aiken, Murray, Gullan, Campbell, McIntyre.

Subs: McCulloch, O'Connor, Weir, Laidlaw, Young

Huddersfield Town B Team: Bilokapic (Acquah, 60’), Spencer (Shanks, 60’), Headley, Jackson, Ayina (Kherbouche, 60’), Austerfield, Obiero, Camara (Midgley, 60’), Harratt, Diarra (Elliott, 60’), Russell

By Devon Cash.