910 A5405

U18s Report: Hibs 0 Kilmarnock 3

The wee Hibees fell to a disappointing 0-3 defeat against Kilmarnock at HTC on Friday evening.

A goal in the opening 45 with a further two in the second was enough to give the visitors a comfortable victory against a youthful U18 Hibernian side.

The away side controlled large parts of the opening half with the Hibs defence being pinned back on several occasions.

Killie’s first goalscoring opportunity came from a well-delivered cross into the box which found the head of a Kilmarnock attacker who could only put his header high and wide over the bar.

Shortly after that, Hibs had their first chance of the game when Owen Calder played in a pinpoint cross to the far back post for Alfie Smith but his headed attempt went inches over the bar.

Kilmarnock thought they’d taken the lead just after the 25th-minute mark when they had the ball in the back of the net as a Killie attacker was left completely unmarked in the box however they were penalised by the officials for offside.

Harry Wright’s then had a strike from distance which sailed wide of the far post.

Killie kept the pressure up, this time being denied by Hibs goalkeeper Ryan Mallon who was forced to parry an effort away from danger.

The visitors netted the goal they’d been in search of minutes before the interval despite Hibs’ best efforts to keep them out.

The initial shot from inside the six-yard area was saved however a Kilmarnock attacker was there to net from the rebound.

Second half

The second half wasn’t as lively as the first. The only real opportunity the wee Hibees had was when Dean Cleand was played through one-on-one against the Killie Keeper but the striker dragged his effort narrowly wide of goal.

Alfie Smith was also denied brilliantly by the Kilmarnock Goalkeeper with his effort from about 25 yards out being pushed away.

Kilmarnock doubled their advantage from a corner in which Hibs struggled to clear their lines, leading to a Kilmarnock attacker being allowed a free effort at goal which went beyond Ryan Mallon in the Hibs goal.

The final piece of action was Kilmarnock’s third goal which sealed the three points for the visitors.