Fri 06 Nov 2020
SPFL Premiership
HT 2-0
Aberdeen Aberdeen FC
Hibernian Hibernian FC
Wright (
Cosgrove (
Match Report

Defensive mistakes proved costly for Hibernian as Aberdeen ran out 2-0 winners at Pittodrie.

Defensive mistakes proved costly for Hibernian as Aberdeen ran out 2-0 winners at Pittodrie.

A strong start to the season from Hibernian has been built upon rock solid defending, however the Easter Road side were guilty of complacency at the back in the Granite City.

Scott Wright and Sam Cosgrove were the beneficiaries of two gifts in the opening 13 minutes of the match that left Hibs with a mountain to climb and it was a setback they did not recover from.

Jack Ross made one change to the side following last weekend’s Scottish Cup exit. Kyle Magennis picked up an injury in training earlier this week to rule him out and his place in the starting XI was taken by Jamie Murphy.

For Murphy, it was a return to the starting line-up for the first time since early October when he limped off during Hibernian’s Betfred Cup victory over Brora Rangers.

The winger was unfortunately caught in possession inside his penalty box in the opening moments of the match as Aberdeen broke the deadlock.

Ryan Hedges picked Murphy’s pockets before the Dons worked the ball to Ross McCrorie, then Lewis Ferguson and on to Wright, who drilled a finish beyond Ofir Marciano.

Worse was to follow just eight minutes later when Ryan Porteous’ clearance ricochet off the back of nearby Hedges and fortuitously landed into the path of Cosgrove who drove forward and beat Marciano with a finish high into the Hibs net.

It had been a disastrous start with Aberdeen clinically taking full advantage of the two gifts presented to them to grab a commanding lead without having to work too hard for their opportunities.

It took until the half-hour mark before either goalkeeper made a save of note and it came when Murphy’s cross from the left was sliced towards his goal by Ash Taylor and Joe Lewis had to tip it over the crossbar.

As half-time approached a wonderful through ball from Joe Newell found Murphy in behind the Dons defence; the winger unselfishly looked to find Kevin Nisbet only to overhit his pass and that allowed Taylor to clear.

The second half failed to deliver a better return for Hibernian as Aberdeen comfortably controlled proceedings.

The visitors did however appear to have strong penalty appeal when Matty Kennedy’s clumsy challenge on Martin Boyle upended the Hibs player, yet the match officials were unmoved, and play raged on.

Sitting on a two-goal lead, Aberdeen were happy to sit back in numbers and smother the match with Hibs struggling to find a way through a sea of red jerseys.

Indeed, Aberdeen had the best chance of the second half when Porteous’s pass back to Marciano was intercepted by Hedges. The Dons forward drew Marciano and squared for McCrorie, who must have thought he was about to score, before having the ball taken off his toes by a wonderful recovery tackle from Porteous with Paul Hanlon completing the clearance.

In the closing moments substitute Jamie Gullan twice forced Lewis into saves at his near post however it proved to be too little, too late for Hibs as Aberdeen comfortably saw out the match to claim full points.

Image: Alan Rennie.

Report: Richard Payne.

from @HibernianFC