AR0107 23 1049
Sun 26 Nov 2023
HT 1-2
Spartans Spartans FC Women
Hibernian Hibs Women
Match Report

Hibs would go behind after 20 minutes – but would take the lead after goals from Leah Eddie and Jorian Baucom before the first half ended. Abbie Ferguson and Ellis Notley secured the result in the second.

Ferguson would have the first half chance of the match after racing through from a centre circle pass by Michaela McAlonie. Our number 7 very nearly chipped the ball over the onrushing Alicia Yates in the Spartans goal, but was taken out by a desperate Spartans defender at the final second.

Jorian Baucom would continue to cause headaches around the opposition’s box, blazing a shot over from the edge of the area after cutting inside brilliantly before skimming past Dion McMahon and Lauren Berman in the opening 5 minutes.

Rosie Livingstone would be next up to queue for a shot. The youngster aimed to guide her low effort into the bottom corner after Ferguson’s effort deflected into her path, but Yates would save brilliantly to deny our number 18 a great goal.

With Hibs controlling the majority of play, McAlonie would very nearly make the domination pay off. Set up brilliantly against her former club by Ferguson, Yates would pull off another terrific acrobatic save to deflect the midfielder's strike away for a corner.

Looking to deliver on the goals after numerous opportunities, it would be Spartans who grabbed the opener as Caley Gibb pounced on her rebounded effort to put the hosts in front after 19 minutes.

That lead would last a little over 5 minutes, however. Naomi Powell would deliver another fantastic corner into the area; Eddie would head highest again – nearly too high – and smash her terrific header off of the underside of the crossbar to bring the score level again.

Powell soon delivered again and Jorian connected brilliantly with a volley. The forward smashed the ball into the bottom corner, evading numerous Spartans and Hibs bodies in the process to give Hibs the lead shortly before half-time.

Continuing her fine form from the first half, Abbie Ferguson would get her reward with a terrific strike to increase the score after 50 minutes. Cutting inside from the right, pulling back from numerous tackles and leaving defender’s helpless, she would compose herself and slot home beautifully to much amazement from players and travelling fans alike.

With the second half losing a bit of momentum with the Hibees' commanding lead, yet another goal would arrive from a corner. Notley would head low after the smallest of deflections to increase Hibs' lead to three.

A fifth would nearly arrive with McAlonie coming close again, with Yates pulling off another sublime stop. Soon after, Livingstone’s powerful effort inched narrowly wide after a lay-off from Lauren Doran-Barr.

A battling performance from substitute Kirsty Morrison on the wing was very nearly capped off with a goal too. Getting on the end of Eilidh Adams' pass into the area, she tried to confidently guide the ball into the bottom corner, but an agonising clearance on the line denied our number 29 her first of the season.

With a minimum of three minutes added before the end, Poppy Lawson would have the chance to cap off the match. Her deflected effort looked to sneak in at the near post, but Yates was quick to collect. She would do the same a minute later to deny Adams a very late goal.